Surface Mount Transformers
Gowanda designs and manufactures Surface Mount Transformers for a variety of power supply and power conversion applications. Surface mount transformers may be designed in a wide variety of shapes and sizes.
Surface mount transformers may also be wound on a toroidal core and mounted to surface mount header for printed circuit board connection.
Surface mount transformers can be designed to operate from 60Hz, or line frequency, well into the MHz range.
Surface Mount Transformer Applications
- Switch mode power supplies
- Power conversion applications
- Filter circuits
- Any application that the transformer can be designed on a surface mounted coil form
Surface Mount Transformer Design
- Typical minimum requirements to be specified for a Surface Mount Transformer are:
- Power rating in VA
- Operating frequency in Hz. Operating frequency is needed for core calculations and wire sizing
- Operating current levels, DC in Amps and AC in Amps peak to peak
- Number of primary windings, voltages & currents
- Number of secondary windings, voltages & currents
- Operating frequency is needed for core calculations and wire sizing
- Core material is selected for the known operating frequency or frequencies which can be anything from silicon steel laminations to a ferrite core structure.
- Another surface mount transformer design consideration is space limitation.
Surface Mount Transformer designs vary widely in terms of power rating, voltage and current levels, operating frequency, size, impedance, bandwidth (frequency response), packaging, winding capacitance, and other parameters.