What is a chip inductor?
Chip inductors are often small, single or multi-layered, thin-wire or film-wrapped coils on a core that is used to transmit and receive radio frequency (RF) signals with other electronic devices. Ceramic-core chip inductors provide a high Quality factor (Q), which gives a sharp resonance frequency. Ferrite core chip inductors are available for use in broadband filtering applications due to their frequency characteristics.
Gowanda offers our chip inductors in two options: Molded and our H-Core Solution (see below for more details).
How does a chip inductor function?
Chip inductors are designed to isolate and filter the AC signal or form a resonant circuit with capacitors, resistors, etc. The inductor coil and capacitor in parallel can form an LC tuning circuit
Chip inductors are designed for surface mount applications. They have conductive metal pads on one side that internally attach to the components they contain. Due to their construction, chip inductors often have excellent electrical characteristics for their small size.
Chip inductors are capable of providing maximum protection for solder welding and/or solder re-flow. Gowana’s chip inductors offer a wide inductance range and are mainly utilized for their ability to work in most broadband applications as well as RF applications.
- Small size
- Surface mount
- Optimized parameters for high-frequency and radio-frequency circuits
- Available in a wide range of specifications
Microchips for Animals
FEATURES & BENEFITS:
- Readily solderable
- Available in standard and non-standard inductance/tolerance values
- Available in application-specific designs
- Expertise derived from Gowanda’s legacy in Space/Aero programs
- Low to high volumes
- Military QPL-approved series; built & tested to meet M83446
- In-house environmental test lab support
- Epoxy coated series
- Meets 1% TML outgassing per ASTM E595
Unlike other chip manufacturers, Gowanda’s chip inductors utilize co-fired terminations and fully encapsulated designs to address the market need for:
- Chemical Resistance
- Vibration/shear resistance
- Electrical and mechanical integrity
- Durability during handling/processing
- Implantable device components (human body)
NEW DESIGN vs. EXISTING DESIGN
Gowanda’s H-Core series of chip inductors are designed to offer a solution to those facing challenges with their traditional molded inductors.
Molded Inductor Challenges
- Internal solder connections
- Asian coil form obsolescence
- Mold compound supply/demand issues
- Lack of N. American raw material suppliers
- Labor intensive processes
- Long lead times
Gowanda’s H-Core Solution
- No internal solder connections, increases reliability
- Coil forms readily available
- Windings are fully protected by UV
- Made in USA with fully automated assembly
- Higher Q; SRF performance is 2-3X better
- Higher current ratings (lower power consumption)
Learn more about Gowanda’s chip inductors by clicking on the individual series below.
RF Surface Mount
|Series||L µH||DCR Ohms||Current Rating mA DC|
|CC0402||0.0009 – 0.220||0.040 – 2.0||37.5 – 1020|
|CC0603||0.0018 – 0.330||0.070 – 2.2||179 – 1000|
|CC0805||0.0022 – 2.2||0.080 – 5.0||140 – 1000|
|CC1008||0.010 – 4.7||0.080 – 4.9||220 – 1000|
|CC4H1008||0.0082 – 0.100||0.090 – 0.210||1100 – 1840|
|CC4H1210||0.010 – 0.0082||0.080 – 0.150||1300 – 2000|
|CC4H1812||0.010 – 0.100||0.060 – 0.135||1560 – 2430|
|CF1008||0.082 – 100||0.150 – 28||79 – 1086|
|CF4H1008||0.12 – 100||0.15 – 16||125 – 1420|
|CF4H1210||0.10 – 100||0.070 – 9.5||160 – 2170|
|CF4H1812||0.12 – 1000||0.060 – 30||96 – 2430|
|SMRF1010||0.010 – 27||0.060 – 6.9||120 – 1270|
|SMRF1512||0.010 – 1000||0.040 – 80||25 – 1000|
|SMRF1512S||0.010 – 10000||0.030 – 110||21 – 1000|
Gowanda welcomes the opportunity to assist its customers with application-specific designs for a particular application where the requirements can not be met by off-the-shelf components.
Our capabilities in design, development, production and testing are extensive. If you are interested in custom products please contact us for assistance.